- The private NZ Company settlement in 1841 of New Plymouth, Taranaki.
- Resistance from local Māori, the British Crown and English settlers (land hadn’t been surveyed – problems?)
- Treaty of Waitangi, 1840
- Ideas of partnerships, sovereignty and rangatiratanga.
- Musket Wars – marauding tribes from Ngati Maniapoto (Waikato) forced Taranaki from their land.
- Led to (and fuelled by) a musket “arms” race.
- Taranaki Wars in the early 1860s fought over land and control (mana).
- First war – 3,500 Brits Vs 1000 Māori. Stalemate.
- Second war – Seen as a defensive war for Māori