- A hungry and angry mod descended on Versailles, the King was given no choice but to accept the decrees and go to Paris with Antoinette on 6th October.
Voting & Tax Reform
- Three tiers of active citizens were made but favoured wealthy men at higher levels.
- But 61% of Frenchmen could take part in some lower level bodies (compared to 4% in England).
- In 1791 the new tax system had three parts:
- Land tax, for all land owner
- Movable goods tax
- Commercial profits tax
- these benefitted the poor, but were inefficient and poorly administered.
Economic, Legal & Church Reforms
- Free trade in grain throughout France was introduced, without customs duties.
- Workers’ guilds were ended to allow easier entry, and the Assembly outlawed strikes
- Justices and courts were standardised to make the legal system universal.
- Church was reorganised and democracy was applied. Corrupt practices like absenteeism removed.