The Seven Years War
- France had been long term enemies with Austria and Britain since the 1400s.
- 7 Years War brought Austria and France into alliance.
- 7 Year War was an epic fail for France, with massive defeats to Britain and their American Colonies.
- France lost nearly all territory in North America and West Africa.
- This left them grumpy, and yearning for revenge!
The American Revolution
- France saw a chance for vengeance and joined the 13 American Colonies in Revolt (1778-1783)
- This wasn’t because they agreed with the Enlightenment principles but because they wanted to minimise British influence in America (Mercantilism).
- Managed to significantly help in the defeat of Britain.
- But this introduced soldiers to revolutionary ideas.
- France incurred massive national debts.